
The witches in the play MacBeth play an intricate role in developing the theme of blind ambition throughout the play. When we first meet them it is on a gloomy afternoon where they are planning their mind games they must play. They agree that the next time they meet will be when they see Macbeth to trick him. This gives you an insight as to the mood that Shakespeare portrays these sisters by the way the weather reacts around them. There is a clear connection between the dreary weather and the dreary mood that the witches always appear in. The witches greet Macbeth as not only the thane of Glamis, but also the thane of Cawdor. They also tell him that he will become King. The witches are dastardly in the way they use the knowledge that they already know to corrupt an easily susceptible mind. Later on the witches sense he is coming and say " some evil this way approaches". This is the point of the play where the witches are recognizing Macbeth's character as truly being corrupt and evil. It would be hard to make a personal connection to such a intricately corrupting character as these witches are. The only was I could relate these characters to a modern reference would be the three musketeers if they were evil and girls. The blind ambition is a refrence to Macbeth's blind brutality in getting what he believes is truly his. He has no proof that he should be the King, but instead just the devine prophecy the witches have bestowed upon him.
I agree with what you are saying about the weird sisters. I kind of see the connection you make to the three musketeers...but it's a stretch. I also like the picture you posted. It captures the mood of the scene and everything you are saying in this post.
ReplyDeleteI am sorry I don't see the connection between the weird sisters and the three musketeers.
ReplyDelete